Today’s post is being written as a part of the CFLBlogCon Blogging For Good Campaign. Please read, and if you feel led, take action!
Did you know that approximately 732,000 people in Central Florida needed food assistance last year? That is 1 in 5 of our Central Florida population. Of that, 47% of those were children. Hunger is not a problem just happening in some far away country. It is right here in our own backyards.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an organization that is doing something about it. They are a private, nonprofit organization that collects and distributes donated food to more than 500 nonprofit partner agencies in six Central Florida counties: Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia.
The types of agencies served by Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida are:
- Emergency food pantries
- Soup kitchens
- Homeless shelters
- Shelters for battered women and children
- Residential treatment programs
- Transitional housing
- Low-income day care centers
- Low-income youth activity programs
- Kids Cafes
- Summer camps
- Meal sites for low-income seniors
- Disaster relief agencies
- Group homes
- HIV/AIDS programs
- Other nonprofit agencies
How Can you Help?
Donate - Not just canned goods either
- No donation is too small.
- No donation is too large. (They accept bulk shipments and will also to pick it up from your location.)
- They accept fresh produce.
- Financial Donations
- With their distribution network they can respond quickly to capture your donation.
- Food Drop Off Location
Buy a Raffle Ticket
Second Harvest Food Bank has created a special basket for CFLBlogCon’s “Blogging for Good” program. It will be “raffled off” at the Yelp! After Party!
The basket is valued at over $100, and you can purchase a raffle ticket for a suggested donation of just $10. Just so you know, 100% of the raffle money goes directly to Second Harvest (minus the EventBrite processing fee).
The basket includes:
- 3 day/2 night stay in a 2-bedroom villa at any Westgate Resort (excluding Westgate south beach)
- $25 gift card for Elephant Bar
- 2 GA Wine Women & Shoes Tickets (we don’t have our date set yet for next year.. working on a venue this month)
- Pair of stemless wine glasses (with second harvest and Wine Women & Shoes logo)
- Second Harvest Food Bank T-shirt
September is Hunger Action Month. Take a look at this calendar to see what activities are going on and what you can do to get involved and help.
All of you Deal Shoppers out there, this is a great opportunity to share your blesssings with those less fortunate. Stock up the next time you find a great sale, or Publix has a good round of BOGO’s, and take all those “extra’s” to the the Second Harvest Food Bank and help out an organization that does so much to help this community that we love.